Thank you! You have put together a very memorable trip so far. The guides have been great, the following were just outstanding: Ulrich, the guide in Lucca and Pisa and the guide on the food tour. Walter and I will send you more comments later. Ulrich enriched my understanding of the Renaissance art as it developed, the guide in Lucca and Pisa simply enriched our lives beyond words, and the guide for the food tour was knowledgeable, entertaining and aware of our experience which this tour one of the best I have taken around the world.
Contact with Matteo impressed me.
- Friendliness and willingness to make the trip to Italy memorable from the onset.
- There was NEVER any time when there was a tone of negativeness, even after making many changes, plus my calling in Italy about the porter and the gondola ride.
Overall plan of itinerary
- Thoughtful and insightful planning so one can see Italy in so many unique ways.
- Staying at Positano was an excellent idea, rather than Naples. In fact, I enjoyed staying for it was relaxing, perhaps because we had a balcony.
- Going to visit Pompeii was a necessity, however, I think I felt sort of rushed, perhaps because the guide was like an audio guide rather than a human guide. He would explain one scene and walk on ahead and leave us behind. He even mentioned that. I wish we could have had a better look at Mt. Vesuvius, for we saw it from the wine estate. I think the wine estate was a waste of time. It was so tourist oriented. We did not get an explanation of the various wines because they were so busy with so many guests. I thought we would have a tour, but they seem to unaware of what I was saying. It was a complete opposite to the Winery Moterinaldi, which was outstanding.
- Florence was my favorite city. Ulrich, the guide, really made a difference in my perspective of how I saw Italy and its art and architecture. I am so happy he was the guide who really showed me the development of the Renaissance Period. Thereafter, I was able to transfer my knowledge to all the cities we visited later.
- Laura, our guide, was excellent who really brought Lucca and Pisa alive. She was accommodating in so many ways, by helping us buy a luggage since our luggage was damaged, picture taking and being so knowledgeable about the area, plus I learned the planning of a church regarding entering from the west and exiting through the east.
- The visit to the Winery Moterinaldi was one of my memorable moments.
- I really enjoyed the Italian Food Valley Tour, I think it was a must to see how some of the “basic Italian foods” are made and really getting to know the food and culture of Italy.
- Venice is a must, but I did not realize it would be that touristy.
- I will not forget the Last Supper and the contrast to the painting on the opposite wall and why the Last Supper is having preservation problems.
- I would highly recommend Discover Your Italy to anyone.
- Our driver, Georgios was just excellent.
- The cell phone was a real plus, thank you.
- I am sorry I did not read the information carefully and had to call you.
- The Gaiole in Chianti was an interesting experience, however, so many steps from one end to another was a challenge when it rained, plus for our age the stone walkway and steps were hard on the knees.
I agree with the comments made by Marion. I add the following comments.
The Gaiole in Chianti was very interesting and ingenious use of an old castle. I thought that there were negatives, for example, for an older traveler with knee problems (like us). There were too many cobblestone steps to navigate. Also the staff while very helpful and courteous seemed more interested in creating a full dining experience with five courses than having simple alternatives, especially if a person is not interested in having a very large meal. Also, some pretty basic expectations seemed to be overlooked, especially for a four star hotel. The lighting in the room was very dim and it took a long time to get hot water even after the faucet was turned on. I would like to have done a day tour of Naples and spent an additional day in Milan. It would have meant to spend more days in Italy and we limited the number of days in Italy.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR A MEMORABLE TRIP TO YOUR COUNTRY!”
Marion & Walter Ikeda (Honolulu, HI) – MAY 2016